Friday, April 9, 2010

Books This Week

I started out with Book of Fires by Jane Borodale. In 1752, an unwanted pregnancy and a theft force 17 year old Agnes to flee her country past and head to London. After a rapid series of events, she finds herself apprentice to a strange, brooding character. Mr. Blocklock is a fireworks maker. In the days that follow, Agnes' swiftly changing body drives her to form a plan to save herself, but it seems that Blacklock has plans of his own...

Now I am reading Lady Vernon and Her Daughter. Based on Jane Austen's novella Lady Susan, it has been expanded into a full-fledged novel by Jane Rubino and Caitlen Rubino-Bradway, a mother and daughter team. It is too soon to say much about the book as I just started it, but I will let you know!

1 comment:

  1. It was really good! Lady Vernon and Her Daughter, that is. I couldn't put it down and some parts had me laughing out loud. Some parts were predictable, but the rest made up for those few parts. Jane Austen stories always turn out well in the end.

    ReplyDelete