Thursday, April 8, 2010

Illustration Inspiration: Lisbeth Zwerger

It is interesting to think that many of our tastes are formed by first impressions. When I became interested in art and illustration as a teenager, I went to the library for inspiration. I found a whole collection of Zwerger's work and I was so in love. I poured over that book! It was a world that I wanted to melt into, as frightening and dark as it could be. Something about the lines and the smoothness and simplicity drew me.
Then , Mama informed me that when I was very young (2 or 3), I had a book of Thumbelina illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger. At that age, I had learned to love her work and it stuck with me.
(all images found through google)

2 comments:

  1. i think i might have had the same book b/c this style looks amazingly familiar to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Utterly magical! I have no conscious memory of seeing her work before (I've sadly never come across her name), but there's something hauntingly familiar about the images. Love it! Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete