Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hiking Alone

Yesterday I went on a hike. By myself. I really need to make this a regular thing. I can only take so much pavement and asphalt, you know? Sometimes, I can't remember the last time I was in a non-manmade environment. The times I am happiest and feel most like my true self, I am away from buildings and all that. Just out in the woods. There is a poem that Edna St. Vincent Millay wrote that sums up this feeling, but she wrote about the sea the way I feel about the woods. Here's part of it:

People the waves have not awakened,
Spanking the boats at the harbour's head,
What do they long for, as I long for,–
Starting up in my inland bed



So I went to the woods yesterday. It was beautiful and felt like home.




4 comments:

  1. Like! and especially that ironweed, Vernonia, with its fancy curled stigmas. Beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wondered what it was. So pretty and enchanting. I should probably get a little field book to take next time. This is just one of many plants I photographed but did not know.

      Delete
  2. It's so nice to have place to clear your head. A physical "happy place." Nice photography skillz, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! I went full manual this time. It was a lot of trial and error and made me so, so, so glad for this upcoming semester.

      Delete