Saturday, October 13, 2012

Syd Likes Dune Too

Hmmm, Halloween ideas right here^

Yesterday, on my way to the post office I noticed I was being followed by a little black sports car. The car pulled in next to mine when I parked. As I got out, the driver, a 50-60 something man, addressed me thusly, "Excuse me, miss."

"Yes?" said I, for around here in broad daylight and in public, I'm not timid of strangers.

"I see you read Herbert."

He had followed me because of my Dune bumper stickers!!!

The man introduced himself as Syd and we ended up geeking out over Dune for a good long while, going beyond Frank Herbert into the additional Dune books written by his son Brian and a co-author who shall go unnamed.

I'm not going to recount the whole conversation, but I will say that Kyle MacLachlan's name came up only once and in passing. We talked more about Duncan Idaho and actress Linda Hunt ("every time I see her, I say to myself, that there is the Shadout Mapes"). Anyway, here's my favorite quote, which I urge you to read in a good ol' Southern drawl:

"Let me put it this way, they are in cahoots with the Face Dancers."

image via

No comments:

Post a Comment