Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Goings On

via
Jake and Lucy are staying with us for a while while they look for a house in the area. It's great to have their company and good for the kids to get to play with Arlo so much. It'll all be fine as long as I continue to isolate myself for that nightly study sesh!

Speaking of which, I'm kinda behind on the school front. You see, the last few weeks, I have been involved in an all-consuming mural project. It's pretty much done now and I am both glad and sad. It took up a lot of my time and I was away from James and the kids a lot. But alternately, I learned some good stuff and met some great folks. The mural is in Spartanburg where I hope to be increasingly involve in the art scene.

On that topic, I have a new project to work on. It is an outdoor sign for an art organization in Spartanburg.

You know, I could get into sign painting. Like as a thing. I'm thinking about looking for more opportunities like this and doing some field research in this area. There's so many great hand-painted signs from back in the day and a number have recently been covered up. That makes me sad and I believe this to be an art form worth reviving.

2 comments:

  1. oh! have you ever seen that documentary 'Beautiful Losers' about those artists ... and the book (i have the book and I think the doc is on instant netflix). Anyways, one of the chicks is a sign-painter. Something I never would have thought could be awesome until I saw her stuff years ago. Check it out! and congrats on the mural! it sounds super fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, but it IS on netflix! Just added to the top of my queue. :)

      Delete