Thursday, October 24, 2013

NMH


Neutral Milk Hotel with Half Japanese opening was an amazing show. The 40 Watt was packed to bursting, as you might imagine. NMH is touring for the first time in, what, 15 years? And the 40 Watt in Athens, GA is their original stomping grounds. People came from all over for this show. I went with Lucy. It was a 2 hour drive from Greenville.

We parked right behind the 40 Watt and had time to split a (cream cheese and jalapeno!) burger from the diner next to the club. Julian Koster was there, like right in front of us. And Anthony Bourdain was at the table next to ours.


After dinner, we stood in line for a full cigarette before getting carded and stamped and ushered into the dark, crowded club. We went immediately to the merch table. I didn't have much money, but I got two posters and had enough leftover for the coat check girl.

For Half Japanese, we stood about 10 people from the front, bodies pressed together, you know how it is. They played songs about love and monsters. All the innuendo was right up Lucy's and my mutual alley. I wished James was there!


When Half Japanese finished, it was our chance to scoot on up to the front. Everyone would take a drinksandpotty break, right? Wrong! Nobody moved, except to shove closer in anticipation. Luckily, we were able to make a deal with a guy and get about 2 bodies from the stage. And there we stood for the next few hours.

I can't really describe to you all that happened after that. I believe it will require an in-depth illustration to fully process. Suffice it to say, they played all the songs that I needed to hear and I left with the feeling that it was a once in a lifetime evening.


2 comments:

  1. Very Jealous! I hung out with Julian Koster when he did a christmas singing saw tour. I think I have pictures on facebook. I wish they were playing up here :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's freaking adorable and want him to be a cheerful, pixie pet for my shirt pocket. Also, I want Amby, Phin and Arlo to have matching hats like that to wear always.

      Delete