Saturday, October 25, 2014

On Repeat



Lately I've had obsessions with albums. An album I play on repeat in the car. One for the office. One at home. They don't change for about a week. In some cases, it's a few weeks!

Here are some recent/current obsessions:

All Hail West Texas by the Mountain Goats. Every song rips out my heart and tears it into pieces that slowly float down in front of me while I drive. "Too far gone to catch them all, but not too far gone to care."

The Best of Leonard Cohen. What else is there to say? Before I switched to Cohen, it was Simon and Garfunkel's Bookends and Bridge Over Troubled Water. There's a way the sounds of these albums make me feel, but there are also associations that bring me back again and again. Justus sings some Cohen songs. Simon and Garfunkel provided a backdrop to the days leading up to Jonathan's return to LA.

Lodger by Bowie. All the way up, late at night, driving. I think Lodger rules.

Bloom by Beach House. This is on repeat in my office these days. It was nice when I had the office to myself for a few days this week and I turned this on and all they way up.

And then reluctantly on repeat is Alphabutt by Kimya Dawson. My kids are obsessed. They don't mind Raffi and they love the Beach Boys, but Alphabutt is their top pick. Every Effing Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment